Make a complaint about a Victorian integrity body

Find out how to report concerns about IBAC, the Victorian Ombudsman, the Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner, the Chief Examiner, the Victorian Auditor-General's Office and the Office of the Special Investigator.

Who you can complain to us about

We may be able to assist you if you wish to make a complaint about:

  • IBAC or an IBAC officer (current and former)
  • a Victorian Ombudsman (VO) officer
  • a Victorian Auditor General’s Office (VAGO) officer
  • an Office of the Victorian Information Commissioner (OVIC) officer
  • the Chief Examiner or Examiners appointed under section 21 of the Major Crime (Investigative Powers) Act 2004
  • until 2 August 2024, Victoria’s Office of the Special Investigator (OSI) or a former OSI officer
  • the (former) Office of Police Integrity (OPI).

It is important to understand that we are not a review body and cannot overturn or change a decision of another integrity agency.

For more information about how to make a complaint and what to expect:


Before you make your complaint

Making your complaint