A controlled operation allows authorised participants, including law enforcement officers, to engage in an activity that may be unlawful, to get evidence that may lead to prosecution of a person for a Commonwealth or State offence.
We provide independent oversight of the conduct of controlled operations by the following bodies:
- Victoria Police, in relation to the Crimes (Controlled Operations) Act 2004
- IBAC, in relation to the Crimes (Controlled Operations) Act 2004
- Victorian Fisheries Authority, in relation to the Fisheries Act 1995
- Department of Energy, Environment and Climate Action, in relation to the Wildlife Act 1975
- Game Management Authority in relation to the Wildlife Act 1975
The chief officer of each of these bodies is required to report to us every 6 months on specific details regarding all controlled operations they have conducted during the previous 6 months.
We complete 6-monthly inspections of each body’s records, to assess their compliance with legislation. We are also required to prepare an annual report on each body’s activities and their compliance with statutory obligations. This report is made available to the responsible Minister and tabled in each House of Parliament.
Most recent annual report
The most recent controlled operations annual report was tabled in Parliament in June 2023.
If you require a more accessible format of any published report, please call the Victorian Inspectorate on 1800 518 197 or email email@example.com .
If you are deaf and/or find it hard hearing or speaking with people who use a phone, the National Relay Service can help. Contact the National Relay Service on 133 677 or visit their website for more information.
Previous controlled operations reports